Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fanboy Rage: The Green Lantern Trailer

Big news today if you are a fan of Hal Jordan, Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively or Two minute condensed versions of stories on which we base the entirety of our judgements.

That's right the new Green Lantern trailer is now out in the open for all of us "would be critics" to tear to pieces after which we cry ourselves to sleep over our ruined childhood and the monstrosity that is the Hollywood money machine.

There's just one problem with that, I don't feel that way at all about the trailer. See for yourself and meet up with me in two minutes I'll be waiting.

Michael Jackson eating popcorn



















To quote Mr. Jordan: I KNOW RIGHT?!?!

I love everything about this trailer but I must admit I'm pretty biased I enjoy Green Lantern he is in my top three heroes list. I also love Ryan Reynolds, he charmed me into liking him a long time ago when he portrayed a popular fun loving college student named Van Wilder.

You combine those two and I am seriously geeking out. The masses though do not seem to be on my side.

My enthusiasm for this movie has been tested ever since the first image of Ryan Reynolds as GL was published in Entertainment Weekly. The haters are really hating on this film right now, everywhere I've seen comments on the footage people say two things:
  1. The CG looks really awful
  2. Ryan Reynolds was not a good choice for Hal Jordan. (One guy even said Green Lantern is supposed to be black...This is not John Stewart Noob although you get points for knowing that there is an African American GL)
I only somewhat agree with the first point and completely disagree with the second. I would say that on the whole the CG looks pretty good: OA looks fantastic, Abin Sur is definitely an alien, Sinestro is spot on, and Kilowog is positively intimidating (You Poozers!) the only part I think looks a bit rough is when Hal says he is going to find trouble. I just don't think the colors of the suit look natural there and it makes the whole thing look rather fake.

The second big complaint is that Ryan Reynolds is too comedic and therefore not good. You see Hal Jordan is supposed to have a stick in his butt apparently. I've never read the character like that but maybe I'm wrong.


Hal is a ladies man

Hal has never been a can't settle down, problem with authority, rushes in half cocked (lol), wisecracking sort of dude. Oh wait....he is. I think Reynolds is perfect to pull off this cocky (lol) character and not only will he pull it off he will be charming while doing it. Yes I am totally crushing. The only other person I would put in that role is Nathan Fillion and I'm not the only one by the looks of this fan made trailer.

The thing is that this movie is supposed to be fun mixed with lots of action. It has a charismatic character and a charismatic actor playing him. To put it into perspective this is a quote from the director Martin Campbell as featured in an interview on Collider.com:

It will be much more in the tone of Iron Man. It’s got to be. Certainly not Batman Begins, which is a pretty dark movie. No, he’s the Hal Jordan character who’s the sort of shoot from the hip, irresponsible kind of cocky test pilot if you will. In fact, the character seems to be the least likely to be chosen as Green Lantern.  Well, of course that’s the fun of it. So no, it’ll be much more like Iron Man. So it’ll have one foot in reality if you see what I mean.

I liked Iron Man, I liked Batman Begins and I'm glad to have Green Lantern get a movie too. If I have one final thought as to why I'm still excited for this movie its this, Geoff Johns approves of what he has seen. If you don't know who that is let me put it to you in S.A.T. terms Geoff Johns is to Green Lantern as Christopher Nolan is to:

E: All of the Above with an emphasis on the Batman movies cause we are talking about DC Heroes

So cheer up fanboys, good supervision, good actor, good character, and a director that made James Bond relevant and fresh tend to make an alright sort of movie. That and they still have several months to work some things out.


No comments:

Post a Comment